The beach is a great place to spend a vacation. Nearly 29% of adults surveyed said they like to go to the beach or do other warm weather activities and was more popular than camping, playing golf or going to a spa. At least 33% said if they could make only one trip, they would go to the beach. Additionally, approximately 70% of adults in the United States are planning to visit Florida this year. Nearly 52% of world travelers are planning to go to the beach this year. One reason for its popularity is that there are many things to do on a beach vacation.
What to do on a beach vacation? Some popular things to do on the beach are read, walk along the shore and just relax and look at the water. There is a scientific basis for why we find the beach so relaxing. When we spend time in places we know well, when we visit the house we grew up in for instance, or the beach, our brains use less energy processing new information because most of the data it receives is familiar. To put it a simpler way, we don’t have to think as much on the beach and that is relaxing. When you combine the fact that taking an annual vacation can extend your life by 20%, what could be better than, say, a Panama City Beach vacation.
What are some things to do on a beach Vacation? Here are some beach vacation tips from a vacation concierge:
- Watch the sunrise or sunset. Depending on where you are, east or west coats, you cannot beat the sunrise and sunset on a beach. They are spectacular.
- Make a sundial. Track the time the old fashioned way. Put a pen or pencil in the sand and watch its shadow give you the time of day. Certainly a lot more entertaining than checking your watch or phone.
- Create a sand candle. Take an object, a shell or anything else whose shape you like and press it into the sand. Pour melted wax into the shape, add a wick and wait for it to cool (this should not take long). Now you have a souvenir from your breach vacation!
- Go for a ride. You can sometimes rent a four wheeler but it’s more fun to rent a bike to ride along the shore. Some beaches offer parasailing, which is a ton of fun for everybody. If you can, take a disposable camera up with you and capture the beach from the sky.
- Check out the local wildlife. The shore is teeming with life. Little hermit crabs scurry about. Jellyfish may wash up on shore. If you are at certain beaches you can see giant horseshoe crabs.
- Sally by the Seashore. Gather some seashells. If you are into crafts, these can be used for a large variety of projects. If you are alert you may also find sea glass or sand dollars.
- Jump on in, the water’s fine! Swim! Body surf! Enjoy the water! No trip to the beach is complete without getting wet, at least a little. Dive in but be careful of any rip currents.
The beach is a great place to spend time with your friends and family. There are so many things to do on a beach vacation that you should be able to find something for everyone. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!